Tuesday, January 10, 2012

2011 - Fire

2011 turned out to be a good (or bad, depending on your point of view) year for fire photos. I covered everything from house fires, semi fires, wildfires and again lots of training. Given the distance I have to travel for many of these I was not always able to get the flames but had to photograph the clean up afterwards.
Below is one of my best and favourite images of 2011 from a house fire in Waiperous Village. It is also the only shot I can think of that has received multiple complaining letters. The more interesting one was a person who wrongly wrote in saying that the firefighters had plenty of water on scene. I spoke with one of the Cochrane fire captains after the e-mail arrived. He told me I had all the facts right in the paper, always nice (and reassuring) to hear.

Cochrane firefighters Hans Peterson and Cameron Robin keep an eye on a house fire in the Village of Waiparous while they wait for water to be trucked in. Fire crews from Ghost River, Cochrane and Exshaw responded to the fire March 2. The house was fully engulfed in flame by the time crews arrived.

Another favourite of mine this year came from car fire training, just as my favourite was last year. This time it was the Cochrane Fire Services training. This image works well entirely because of the one visible eye as the firefighter signals for increased water flow.

Cochrane Fire Services firefighter Randy Shiman signals to the pump operator for more pressure during vehicle fire training Nov. 5.

Although the controlled burn in Kananaskis, below, was a little outside of the Eagle's regular coverage area, the decision was made to cover it because the smoke could potentially blow into and affect our coverage area. It was also a great opportunity to get photos from a helicopter of a large forest fire.
Again luck came into play. According to the public information officer on scene the larger publications from Calgary and TV news had come out but conditions were unsafe and they left without any photos or video footage from the air. When I was there along with a summer student from a paper in Canmore, conditions had improved and we got, as far as I know, exclusive images of the fire.
I also discovered that I am probably prone to motion sickness as I wasn't feeling to well as the flight went on but started to feel much better once I was one the ground again.

The view from the air of a controlled burn in Kananaskis country.

Burnt out trees after the controlled burn in Kananaskis country.

The view from the air of a controlled burn in Kananaskis country.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment