Saturday, January 7, 2012

2011 - Adventure in Haiti


Top: the firefighters play with one of the orphans at New Vision Ministries. Above: Firefighter Kailyn Sundby hands out toys to Haitian children.

The trip to Haiti with members from Cochrane Fire Services is something I should have blogged on as it happened. It was an incredible experience that taught me a lot.

Lieut. Derek Orr plays with one of the orphans at New Vision Ministries

I learned that although I can survive the heat I am much better suited to Calgary or perhaps even cooler climes. I also learned that I can handle the pressure and produce stories and images anywhere that I have too.
It taught me how to pack for working trips, I was maybe a little over packed with equipment as far as batteries and chargers go but in Haiti if anything had been broken, stolen, lost or worn out I would have been out of luck.


Firefighter Ryan Morrison and New Vision Ministries Stephen Byxbe work on the second day of the trip.

The trip also had several surprises, the biggest shock was how little culture shock I experienced traveling.
The number of people and confusion at the airport in Port-au-Prince was a little overwhelming, and likely would have been terrifying if I had been alone, but after I became used to the number of people it didn't feel very different.
I have often described Haiti to people here at home as a warmer, more populous first nations reserve here in Canada.


The group works on Marc Onell Pierre's house.

I very happy to have had the experience and am grateful I went with such a great group of people. Despite my loathing of the heat, I would jump at the chance to go overseas again to tell this kind of a story be it in Haiti or somewhere else.


Firefighter Kailyn Sundby works to smooth out the concrete before the firefighter start working to frame the wooden roof.

Click on the links to read the stories about who we helped, bringing happiness to kids and local firefighters build homes.
I am also writing a photo book that on the trip that will be published with help and support from the firefighters. I'll write more on that later.
Included in this post are some of my favourites from the trip. Click here for the full gallery of images posted at the Cochrane Eagle.

The firefighters work on the home of Marc Onell Pierre.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment