Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Portraits are fun

Since I started at the Cochrane Eagle I have been assigned several portraits a week. When I started in Photojournalism this fact would have depressed me. Starting out, I found portraiture tough and unpleasant. I wasn't comfortable or confident enough in my photography to tell people how to pose. I also didn't have the lighting equipmentor knowledge to light portraits or the experience to see and use available light properly.

This has changed as I gained experience as a photographer. I started to improve technically as I played
with lights and learned to see the potential of available light. As I gained confidence in my technical skills, I developed the experience and confidence to pose people and create the image I wanted, one that fits with the reporters stories.

Things have now turned a full 180 degrees from when I started. I've picked up a pair of studio lights and battery packs for location lighting. My outdoor lit and unlit portraits are getting to be consistent and good. I still struggle sometimes with indoor lighting, however I am looking forward to winter when outdoor portraits stop occurring. After about a month of shooting a portrait every other day, my indoor work will be as good and consistent as my outdoor.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment