Friday, August 6, 2010

Cadet Search & Rescue - Part I

So a little bit about what I do at the Eagle on Tuesday production days. When I started at the paper I hadn't written a story since I was at SAIT. Since I was a little rusty, I wasn't really qualified to lay out and cut the news stories of the other reporters. Because of this I spent a lot of time bored while I waited for the pages to be laid out and proofed. While I was waiting one Tuesday, I decided to go through the old issues of the paper.
I discovered a story on the army cadet search and rescue training at the Rocky Mountain National Army Cadet Summer Training Centre which is located past Waiparous on the forestry trunk road. The camp accepts the best cadets from across Canada as well as exchange cadets from the United Kingdom. They go through different training modules that include mountain climbing, a service week and other outdoor activities.
The photos with that year old story weren't any good, but they showed the potential of the training exercise. The army uses a causality kit that includes props and fake blood that can be disturbingly realistic.
The next day (after production) I spoke to my editor about doing a photo page and short story on the camp. She agreed, later that same day, the camp's media contact called the Eagle to invite a photographer out to cover some of their upcoming activities. From there it was simply getting down the details and the story was a go.





















-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment