Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cadet Search & Rescue - Part II

I had never been out to Waiperous before shooting the cadet search and rescue.
On the day of the training it was a little slow at the paper and no one knew how long it would take to get out there.
I wanted to leave a little early so their would be time to stop and shoot any wildlife I might see on route.
As it turned out, it was a much shorter trip to get out there than anyone had estimated and there wasn't any wildlife to photograph.
I arrived very, very early for the training.
It wasn't really a bad thing, I was able to interview the media contact prior to the exercise and get the background on what was going to happen thus making it possible to plan ahead to get the best pics.
This assignment also included one of those perks that don't happen a lot but are really nice, I was fed dinner by the camp.
After dinner, the real work started.
The civilian nurses got the causality kits out and began transforming three healthy staff cadets into three badly injured individuals in need of rescue (or at least a shower.)
Once the victims were ready, the were hidden around the camp and the cadet searchers got started. It didn't take the group I was following very long to find their victim and rescue him.
With the photos and the exercise over, it was time to get some interviews done.
Unfortunately for me, all three of the cadets I needed to talk to had very thick accents, two were from Quebec and one was from Britain.
It made the interviews long as I often had to repeat and reword questions so they could understand.
Quotes were also tough, full of pauses and ums as they searched for the right words.
As my first multiple source story in years, this was a tough way to start.
Overall it was a fun experience and I am looking forward to continuing to work on photo essays for the Eagle.
Read the story here.
-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment