Tuesday, April 3, 2012

First on the scene - a river rescue


It's actually been a long time since I've arrived first on the scene. With most of the hard news happening outside of the town limits it's pretty tough to beat vehicles that don't have to follow posted speed limits, red lights and the rest of the rules of the road like I have to.

On this river rescue I arrived first by about a minute or two. I was followed closely by Cochrane Fire Services Capt. Huw Jeffries in their ERU (its a pickup truck, I'm not sure what the designation means). He drove right onto the bridge to asses the situation. The Engine was off responding to what turned out to be a false alarm fire.

Moments later, two ambulances arrived and their crews started asking me  what was happening, which unfortunately I didn't know much since I had just arrived and only knew what had been transmitted over the radio (I did tell them what I'd heard the police say since I have no idea if ambulance crews monitor RCMP radio traffic).

Shortly after that the crews who had been paged into the fire hall for this call started to arrive with the necessary equipment to effect the rescue.

From there things progressed quickly, safety ropes were tied, water rescue team members got in position to back up the high angle rescue, and a firefighter climbed over the edge to effect the rescue.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment