Saturday, January 1, 2011

Top 10 - #10

Don't read too much into the title. I'm posting my top 10 of 2010 and some honourable mentions along the way but I'm not ranking the 10 in any way. They'll just be posted in what ever order I happen to find them in.

On to the picture.

#10 - The RCMP finish the Musical ride with the charge.
Taken on Aug. 3 in Cochrane, Alta.

Walking into the musical ride this was the picture I wanted. I had covered the Lord Strathcona's Horse Musical Ride in St. Albert and gotten great shots of everything but the charge. I made sure to be at the end of the arena my long lens as the ride came to an end. I was set up and ready, there was no reason not to get a technically excellent shot of the charge.
What I couldn't prepare in advance was the expressions on the members charging towards me.
This image was cropped from a horizontal image with a male officer on the left. He had a pretty blank expression which led to him being cropped out. The two female officers were really into the charge, their expressions made the picture.
This assignment was the first real pressure I had working for the Eagle. Being a weekly paper published every Wednesday, I usually have all my stuff in days before deadline. This was different the Musical Ride was in town on Tuesday at 2 p.m. Our paper goes to press at 5 p.m. The decision was made to get the ride into that paper. We ended up getting the paper out about an hour late that day.
The ride ran on front with the above pic as well as two full pages of photos. We were late because of those. With the ride being around an hour or so long, having to drive back to the office, edit the pics, lay out the pages (a slow process), and get them proofed takes time.
Everything worked out in the end, the paper was published and I came away with one of my best images of the year.
-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment