Friday, November 26, 2010

Life in Afghanistan


In my last entry, I mentioned a story about a pair of soldiers that returned home to Cochrane from Afghanistan.
After the story I wrote on the flag, I knew that each soldier had a much bigger story that could be told. Unfortunately one of them didn't have clearance from his commanding officer to speak to the media. The other, Cpl. Sam Agustin, did have permission to talk.
After close to three hours spread over two interviews I realized several things, one of which was I was in a little over my head.
I was fortunate enough to not have to worry about my deadline. I had about three weeks to write it since we had decided to use it in the Remembrance Day Eagle.
I had a lot of fun talking with Agustin and although I struggled with writing it, that was fun too. What I learned from my struggles writing was that I need to take better, more detailed notes, especially when I have such a long recording.
-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment