Monday, July 19, 2010

Stampede #3

Continuing with the Calgary Stampede, I was sent down to the grounds July 15 to cover the talent search, one of the stampede's hidden gems. The night that I went was the first of the semi-finals. The Boyce Theatre in the Calgary Round Up Centre was filled to capacity with crowds lined up outside hoping to get in as people left after their child performed.
To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to the assignment. There is a lot of musical talent in Cochrane and I have covered many of them since I started at the paper. I like covering performances but there aren't any really good venues from a photographers perspective (lack of interesting lighting, cluttered backgrounds, etc.) in Cochrane.
The stage at the Stampede was what I expected, Spot lights on the performers but lots of advertising cluttering up the background. I was able to get up high at the back of the theatre to help eliminate the distracting backgrounds.
What I hadn't expected as I drove to the grounds was quality of the performers.
Without a doubt, of the performances I saw, junior performer Eva Paolucci (top photo) was the crowd favourite. She sang How Sweet It Is but had an incredible stage presence for someone so young.
The performances while I was there was all musical, the best pics were from Michael Bridge playing his original composition, The Slippery Slope on his accordion.
He really was into his playing and had great facial expressions. Unfortunately he isn't from Cochrane or the surrounding area as these would have been great for the paper.
The Cochranite, Lucas Chaisson, was very good. He sang The Light and played the guitar.
My favourite performer on a night that turned out to be a lot more fun than expected was Madi Allen who sang Day Turns To Night (bottom image).

No comments:

Post a Comment